- Put flour in a bowl, add chilled butter cubes and mix with fingertips or dough cutter until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and cut everything together with a knife or a dough cutter.
- Form into a ball, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Roll the dough between parchment paper sheets until it fits a 9 ½” tart pan including the sides. Place the pastry in the pan.
- Prick base with a fork, line with parchment paper and spread rice/beans on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove rice/beans and paper and bake for 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, mix soft butter and sugar, then add one egg at a time.
- Fold in almonds and flour.
- Peel 2 very ripe pears, cut them in halves, core and slice thinly lengthwise, keeping the slices together.
- Spread the filling over the cooled pastry crust, then place the pears like a cross on the filling, fanning them slightly.
- Bake for 50 minutes, let it cool completely in its pan. Chill for 2 hours. Remove from pan.
- Before serving, dust the edges with icing sugar.
Served with a steaming hot cup of dark roast coffee or strong tea it will send your guests to heaven.
90g chilled butter cubes
55 g super fine sugar
2 egg yolks
300g raw rice or beans for blind baking
2 ripe pears
165g soft butter
150g super fine sugar
125g ground almonds
1 ½ tbsp. flour
1 tbsp icing sugar