(serves 4 as an appetizer)
- Cut tuna in long strips, about 3 cm thick. Salt and black pepper to taste. Sear the strips in very hot oil for 20 seconds on each side. Place on plate lined with paper towel to cool a little.
- Lightly toast sesame seeds in a dry pan on medium/high heat while stirring. Careful not to burn them. This only takes about ½ minute.
- Place sesame seeds on a plate and roll tuna strips to coat them. Cut strips into 1cm slices and arrange on a serving plate. Tuna can be kept in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves or green onions sliced lengthwise.
To dip, offer soy sauce, wasabi mayo and hoisin sauce with a splash of lime on the side.
- 300g sushi grade tuna steak
- 20g black and white sesame seeds
- Black pepper