Serves 4. **5-8 days marinating required.
- Rinse Matjes Filets with cold water.
- Set filets in a large bowl with cold water for 1 hour.
- Drain water.
- Peel and slice onion in fine rings.
- Peel and slice quartered apple in fine slices.
- Mix cream and vinegar.
- Using a ceramic or porcelain pot, layer your ingredients.
- Start with some onions, a little cream/vinegar mix, apples, herring, bay leaf, berries
- Repeat until all ingredients are used evenly in layers.
- Top should be onions, the sauce should just cover it all.
- If short sauce, mix a little more cream and vinegar and add on top.
- Cover thoroughly with plastic wrap sitting right on top of your last layer.
- Let the herring sit 5-8 days to marinade.
- Serve with skin-on boiled potato or fresh baguette.
- 12 Herring Filets in oil (Matjes)
- 1 large mild onion
- 1 Apple
- 150g White Vinegar
- 350g Cream
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 Juniper Berries